Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Who Does She Think She Is??

I’ve never been much of a writer… I think that is an important detail to note before delving into this blog. The idea of a blog has always been somewhat unproductive to me, but it is also a great way to document a period of time, thoughts and experiences. I am in the throws of a huge turning point in my life as an artist and as a wife. The changes and progressions are so amazing that I have been driven to start this blog that melds my “professional” artistic life with my evolving marriage with my husband and the beginning of the expansion of our family.

I am 2008 Alumni of the
Maryland Institute College of Art. It is there that I received my bachelor degree in General Sculpture Studies and where I fell in love with women/feminist performance artists. Most people cannot name 5 women artists off the top of their heads.


Louise Bourgeois
Ana Mendieta
Ann Hamilton
Marina Abramovic
Magdalena Abakanowicz
Tara Donovan
Rebecca Horn
Judy Chicago
Eva Hesse
Agnes Martin

These are some of my most influential artists! It really saddens me that there is not more of a feminine presence in the art world today. In the 60s and 70s, there was such a fire brought by women artists which was fueled by the women’s liberation. Art institutes’ student body today consists of 80% women, but in the professional art world outside of the institute, men make up 70-80% of successful, gallery artists. On top of that… most of the few successful international artists do not have children. Art has such a potential to take up all of my time, so I can understand this statistic… If I did not have to work 9 hours out of the day, I would most likely be making all day and night. A good friend of mine, May Wilson, was talking to me on the phone the other day and she stated something very interesting… how “good” could we be if we focused on our art all the time like we did in school? I try not to think about that too much, because it’s somewhat depressing. I’d hope that someday, when my husband is out of school and working, I might be able to actually pursue my art as a full-time job.

Lately I’ve had this strong desire to have a child with my husband… which is funny, because if you knew me in high school and/or college… I’ve been pretty adamant about not having children. I am a true believer (now) that there is a nurture/mother instinct that is within us all that happens to intensify after getting married. It’s out there. It exists. It turns out that getting pregnant is something that could actually happen in the very near future since I’ve settled into a stable job that can support my family during my husband’s education. (Zachary does bring in some money… give credit when credit is dueJ). Some would say that it would be selfish to have a child and work towards becoming a successful artist simply because the time it takes to make art, even if on the side, could be spent with your child. I feel like that is the same sort of mentality that people have towards women who work with children. I don’t see how it is bad to want to support your family by working, but still have children.


I’d like to see this movie if it’d ever come out on DVD in the next millennium…
Who Does She Think She Is? Trailer:



A very good article about the pros and cons of stay at home motherhood and working moms:

Mom VS. Mom

After reading this article, I feel like it was mainly pro-working mother. Once again, I do not see anything wrong with working and having children as long as you are able to provide, love and support your children! My husband and I would not be able to afford a child if I stopped working. Also, I do not think that having children means that I have to discontinue my pursuit of my hopes and dreams. If I were to stop making art, I know I would most likely slip into a deep, intense depression. What kind of atmosphere would that create for my child? I think finding a balance is best in order to teach my children through example.

I am getting ready to read a book called: “
Strong Hearts, Inspired Minds: 21 Artists Who Are Mothers Tell Their Stories.” Based on the reviews, it seems very hit or miss. I, for one, am just curious about what other mom-artists are doing because I know for sure I’m not the first to take this path. I’m hoping for some success stories. I want to have the best of both worlds and I want to know it’s achievable.

A review will come in the near future!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see you starting this- and with so much force! I'm certainly not in the same boat in terms of getting ready for a family necessarily but so much of this rings so close to topics i've been thinking about- the general conflict of trying to understand how marriage/family/art/work/womanhood are all going to fit together and what hierarchy is going to be placed in those relationships. lately i've felt like i've been in a slump because i just can't seem to sort things out for myself even in terms of post-graduation-find-myself-in-the-workforce-blues. it's really inspiring to see you post about the multiple roles that you're going to take on and the fact that you're actively reading and seeking out other sources on the same topic. so yeah, basically, i love it (and you) and please continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dani! I'm glad you found the post useful. I will most likely be returning to this huge topic in the future. It's definitely complicated to think of how it will all balance out... but when there's a will there's always a way! Right? Thanks for reading! Miss you my friend!

    ReplyDelete