Monday, January 24, 2011

Find Your Power Animal


Normally on my figures I simply put a face that looks similar to my own but I am thinking I might put the face of an animal on my ‘cathartic birth’ piece. Reflecting on my experiences as a mother, I’ve been really gravitating towards the idea of maternal instincts. Specifically I’ve been thinking of the primal need to protect offspring in the animal kingdom. It is very powerful feeling knowing that I would give my life to protect my son, just as many mammals do everyday. The instinct to protect mirrors the birthing process. It’s strong and uncontainable… deliberate and with purpose.
I haven’t decided if this imagery would overwhelm the piece all together… but what part about the birthing process did I experience that was not completely and utterly overwhelming?
I’ll have a couple drawings tomorrow to try and hash out the idea. My gut says go for it.









No comments:

Post a Comment