Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Six Rolls of Tape Later...


I just need to figure out how I’m going to finish the surface of this piece and I’ll be done!! I’ve done a lot of tests and have yet to reach a decision. I think I’m going to upholstery the figure in burlap, layer it with shellac, then finish with a thin layer of polyurethane. Sounds like an extremely strong (and toxic) mixed drink.
bark and shellac test is getting bigger.
acrylic yarn and shellac. If I could get the loops tighter, I would consider doing this on the figure. But alas.. I don't like the gaps.
This week I added the breast and pregnant belly to the figure. I feel so much more connected to this piece now that it is clearer what the final product will look like.  There’s definitely a powerful energy that surrounds this piece.  It demands your attention. I think I’ll have some good luck entering her into shows. That’s right. It’s a she. Like a large boat. 
I’m starting to think about picking a freight company to ship my larger pieces when the time comes to ship. Unfortunately, beggars can’t be choosers when it comes to show locations. If I get into a show in Wisconsin or… Maine or… one of those square states… I have to participate to build my resume. I wish that showing work didn’t have to cost the artist so much money! There’s the entry fee…. and if you get in… then you get to pay for your own shipping (you have to pay for a return label as well)… and on top of all that, if you happen to “win” best in show or some sort of money, its always something like $100. $100? Really? Thanks for paying for 1/5 of my shipping cost ya jack rabbit. I understand that a lot of galleries are non-profit and what not… but I think artists should be rewarded more if they get into shows.
For the record… I’ve applied to 8 shows since January 1 and I’ve gotten into…. Zeeeroooooo! Still going strong! Hopefully my new work will breathe life into my quest for shows…. Or maybe I need to start entering proposals for shows. That’s probably the next step. Very high-risk, high reward. There’s a lot of work that goes into proposing a show and to have it be rejected would suck so much more than just losing an entry fee. We’ll see! There’s much making to be had before we jump that hurdle, you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment